Sunday, November 11, 2007

HR person, Psychologist and a person who reads too much....

Results in a serious Sunday Brunch - seriously awesome food wise - tofu quiche - low cholesterol and all the benefits on top of tasting really good... but aside from that we talked about well a lot of what Shawn and I have been talking about - primarily because I know I need to temper what I am hearing and what I'm reading - I know that I don't lean right and the books are heavily left - though I am moving more and more in that direction. We were talking primarily about SES issues and the generational shift we've seen at SFU and how that's reflected across North America. We are currently seeing a younger generation rife with apathy and financial success, but that also change will come through a drastic force from that group. Due to SES changes there is currently the greatest opportunity for the education of new community leaders and the mobilization of migrant worker and populations that aren't marginal in size but are in relevance according to the government. There will also be a conscientious within these groups to move beyond infighting and focus on the greater issues. This all will be aided by the current downswing in the US economy. I know there are those hoping the economic influx of Christmas will aid in a resurgence, and while it may - there are other issues in effect - the war and government instability, the mortgage situation etc that are also contributing to the instability.

Times are changing... and I believe we should be right in there - there was a vegan feminist on the MennoMeet site - tattooed as well - she was working with migrant workers educating them on their rights and also for product responsibility - ensuring that companies are responsible for where they get their product. Tenth tonight had a Tim Hughes song God of Justice as part of the worship and it reaffirmed my belief that we are unbelievably selfish and longsighted in the Church - we see Heaven and God and ignore the whole of our lives - possibly another 60 years... what am I going to do with those years... work towards justice that's what I'm going to do, some how to show the chesedh of Christ. Passion is a part of that I believe that Christ has given us a passion beyond just Him to be our point of influence in the world and that He brings together people with similar visions or complimentary visions.

On that note Cheryl - Regent's whispering.... but I am ignoring it right now I have an Economist to read before bed.

4 comments:

Shawn said...

I have these friends, I talk to them about how to deal with people who are extremists.

Shawn said...

SES is way easier than typing socio-economic stability. It took me a minute to catch on to what SES was, but I figured i tout and I like it. Obviously I need to take more soc. classes.

GF Girl said...

actually it's socio-economic status - a relationship between social status/society and economics - being that ones access to education, healthy food, safe living conditions etc are closely related to economics and more accurately the lack of income in this case.

Shawn said...

You just proved my point, I obviously need to learn more.