Saturday, January 19, 2008

I'm a city girl, y'all!

That I am. Cheryl asked me recently about, E when her and I were talking about the recent situation with S. Apparently Cheryl took a liking to E and is skeptical about S for all the same reasons I am... call it the my inner ice queen calling for her winter wonderland back... anyways that's a whole other blog.

As to E - he great, though he's considerably more liberal than me - wow, I know I'm like the commie freak in my family so we imagine how that would have all gone down - there of course are a whole lot of other reasons that all the Rook skills in the world could never have equaled out - like he's a farm boy and let's be honest, while having a organic heriloom garden and doing some of that Martha Stewart stuff does turn my crank, I'm a city girl. I should specify I'm a west coast city girl. I love the diversity of people, lifestyles, cultures, views and well everything.

Why a city girl? Well purely based on location, it's convenient - Leaha and I live in an area where we can walk almost anywhere that we would need to go - groceries, coffee shops - endless- take your pick, banks, groceries, art/movie/book shops, farmer's market, library, parks, Skytrain etc.... I love that Donald's our local market has everything I could ever want - from dried shitake mushrooms and pomagranate molasses, to the everyday - tempeh, soy milk, Uprising's Bread and fresh produce all a 15 minute walk away. I love the movement, watching the seasons in the city, the cherry blossoms, and leaves, fireworks, and the snow...

I'm also a city girl because of just who I am - don't get me wrong I love going camping with my family - but I also really love my bed and being clean - there is a point to where camping is smelly, dirty and uncomfortable. I can deal with the smell and dirt but the uncomfortable... well I love my bed - did I mention that? The last time I went camping my brother and I had to set up our tent at 11:30pm by the lights of his Civic (we miss you Yoko), and I don't know if you could call it a tent.... He bought one of those high end ones from MEC - good for the rains of the West Coast and all that, but not good for two people apparently. Sheldon's 5'11 and ranges from 170-190 - depending on the hockey training - and well he was the tent - I would constantly wake up with my face pressing on the side of tent, body smushed and off my mat. Oww was the overall feeling, and there he was all blissful enjoying his and my mat. Then there's the issue of how to get dressed in a space you can just sit up in. So this year I'm happy I get that tent to myself and maybe Leaha gets it share it if she interested...

Before I get comments about how high maintenance I am to only dwell on the sleeping - one sleep is essential for memory retention, REM especially, and it keeps me happy - but there are plenty of great things about camping - yoga on the beach, watching the sun set, sitting the dark on the beach and watching the stars, Rook, endless hours of Rook, camp fires, cooking over camp fires and stoves, family - all the family, the laughter, and the day trips - helps the women deal with all the stress of being continual dish washers and cooks - Anacortes, Friday Harbour, San Juan islands, Seattle etc.

For anyone interested it's the 2nd to 3rd week in July this year.

5 comments:

Shawn said...

I don't think you're high maintenance, I do think you indecisive though.

Anonymous said...

i'm actually the indecisive one. jenn is the hesitant to jump in one, very happy to miserably pine after from afar.

and i'm not "all for e" but carrie-in-the-mud is definitely what i think would happen to you would you ever hook up with someone like that.

GF Girl said...

Fine, fine you're not all for E - and yes I would like that - though I would be cuter of course. And Cheryl's right I'm more prone to being hesistant or jumping without looking

Shawn said...

You gals call it careful or hesitant, I call it indecisive.

Anonymous said...

you? indecisive? introspective, maybe.

all for tenting as long as there's a sit-down type of toilet around, flushable or no. Like it or not, there are some biological necessities that need to be satisfied....!