Monday, June 2, 2008

Transparency

"There is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus," what a verse to be brought to mind after the crazy sideways morning I had. So I flipped through the songs on my IPod, nestled between the songs left on there from my brother was Jennifer Knapp's Martyrs and Thieves.

"In the absence of martyrs there's a presence of thieves. who only want to rob you blind.
They steal away any sense of peace, tho I'm a king.
I'm a king on my knees. And I know they are wrong when they say I am strong.
As the darkness covers me.
So I turn on the light and reveal all the glory, I am not afraid.
To bear all my weakness, knowing in meekness, I have a kingdom to gain.
Where there is peace and Love in the Light in the Light, I am not afraid.
To let your light shine bright in my life In my life. "

We have a tendency to hide those things we don't like, those things we find shameful and those areas we know where we have grieved ourselves and those around us. By not having transparency we further allow for those actions to either continue or eat away at our souls. Last night Shawn and I were talking about a couple in a similar place relationally, but one for whom the issue of premarital sex has started a slow deterioration of their relationship. Subsequent to the discussion regarding their situation, we had one about our, likely the tenth time we've had such a discussion and obviously not the last time as to importance of not having sex. It is an area where due to our cultural upbringing - the Church's apprehension around discussions about sex or whathave you couples end up finding themselves in spirtual, emotional and intellectual void. As Christian singles we are indoctrinated with all the reasons for not having sex, but then all of a sudden faced with our hormones (if we haven't be already) once we start to date and the rationality of it all disappears. Is it a conversation Shawn and I enjoy having? No, not really, but we are conscious there is a lot a stake - namely our future.

No comments: